Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Spring Update #13

I was able to install the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Probe over the weekend.

I pilot drilled the manifold pre-turbo using a 3/16 bit. I was careful not to penetrate all the way through. Once I was nearly completely through I followed up with a 21/64 bit. Again I did not go all the way through the wall. It is about ¼” thick.

Once I was ready to drill through the started the engine up. The exhaust pressure was sufficient to blow the chips out the hole.

I followed up with a 1/8-27 NPT tap. The exhaust gases are only 250-300F at idle, so I used some high temp grease on the tap to ease the cutting process.

The wire was run behind the coolant line and over the engine following the heater core coolant lines. I put some sleeving over the wire because I didn’t want the stainless braiding rubbing on the coolant lines.

I used the same grommet as the boost sensor wires.

A quick test drive confirmed no leaks.

If you need ignition switched 12v power near the cluster the rear window defrost switch is a convenient source.

The cabinets are nearing the end of the painting process. So time consuming.... Jen started covering the ceiling panels. Its going fairly quickly. Hopefully the adhesive meets our expectations.  


No comments:

Post a Comment